Monday, September 23, 2013

Emmys 2013 Recap and Highlights

I've been thinking about how to recap last night's 2013 Emmy Awards.  Fashion-wise, not a single dress stood out in my mind as "wow". Not one.  There were a lot of awful dresses with far too many ruffles and folds and wrinkles. In fact, there were so many that I don't even have the energy to cover all the missteps in one blog post because it will just end up making the post so negative and bitter and who wants that? It wasn't even that entertaining of a show period. I've never seen NPH look so thin and tired. I hope he's ok.

So where does that leave me? Well...I think I'll just focus on JLD.

Julia Louis Dreyfus is one of my favourite famous people of all time. To say I am a Seinfeld fan is the world's biggest understatement. I've seen every episode at least thirty times. No joke. You may consider that a gross waste of time, and it's true that I could have used those same amount of hours to become an actual Doctor of Medicine, but I don't consider it a waste at all. I adore Elaine Benes. Her uncommon mixture of sweetness, humour, frank honesty, facial contortioning, sarcasm and bite is basically the role model for my whole adult life. Adding a splash of Elaine to my day makes all the annoyances and challenges fall to the wayside and leave me with nothing but laughter. When Seinfeld ended, that's why I cried. Those are insanely tough shoes to fill.

What a genuine pleasure it has been to see her succeed so strongly for so many years after Seinfeld's end. Do you know how difficult it is to leave a top-rated sitcom and do something else that is successful? I mean, can you appreciate how it is almost not possible at all? Once someone knows you so well as Elaine Benes, or Ross Geller, or Sam Malone or Jack Tripper, it's really hard to break that mold. I can't really think of anything notable that Jason Alexander (George) has done, and Jerry is so rich he doesn't even need to bother, and Michael Richards had a very tough moment as he tried to move forward that it will take the public a really long time to forget (note: if you haven't yet given him grace, I suggest you watch the end of this video and you'll truly see his genuine regret).

So back to JLD. This is her fourth Emmy award, and she has now won Emmy's for three different shows! Seinfeld, The New Adventures of Old Christine, and now Veep. She looks beautiful, but she also looks her age. She is fit, but not emaciated. She has a twinkle in her eye, a spring in her step, and a knowing grin on her face. She doesn't take herself too seriously, and she is always gracious to fans and the press.

Seeing her shine - along with my other two role models (Amy Poehler and Tina Fey) last night, was true happiness. So for that reason, and that reason alone, I really enjoyed the show. 

No comments: