Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pick #30: Best Restaraunt in Burlington

Recently anointed with 4 stars from restaurant critic Amy Pataki of The Toronto Star, I realized I could no longer put off dinner at Blacktree Restaraunt in Burlington.  Considering I live a mere block away, it's practically inexcusable that I hadn't been there yet in the almost 5 years I've lived there.  June 30th, in honour of the last day of my "Best of the GTA" series, I dined at Blacktree with my husband and close friends.  We were privy to a 4-course tasting menu with wine pairings, and what a feast for the senses it was!  After an amazing amuse-bouche, we opened our palettes to new treasures like boar, halibut, bison, and lobster ravioli, with complementing accompaniments too numerous (and perfect) to mention!  Dessert was a warm chocolate pastry with delectable coffee ice cream, and an Italian dessert wine that is now one of my personal favourites!  The wine pairings were magical, and ranged from Riesling to Chardonnay to Amarone.  We could barely keep up even though our leisurely tour of gastronomic delights took almost three and a half hours!  Chef Matteo Paonessa was kind enough to chat with us about our menu (among other fascinating topics) and our sommelier Peter was unforgettably knowledgeable and fun. One of (if not the) best meals of my life.  Kudos Blacktree! 

No comments: