Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How to do a Smoky Eye!

So you're bored of everything in your closet but you don't have a) the budget or b) the time to go shopping for a new dress before your next holiday party.  No problem!  There are 2 simple ways to turn a very simple outfit into a stunning ensemble that will turn heads.  The first is with a couple of blinged-out accessories.  I always recommend The Rule of 2 when it comes to accessories to ensure you don't go overboard or look too matchy-matchy.  Between earrings, a bracelet, and a necklace - pick 2 of 3 and you'll never go wrong.  The second is with  great smoky eye makeup.  I'm the first to admit it's an intimidating task (despite the tutorial I took in person at MAC last year I still forget where to start...), but it really is rather simple if you just follow a few steps.  Here's a great basic tutorial (thanks Oprah) that will get you there in just six steps!  Or...you can check out this video from Chatelaine which I think is even better!  Another great rule I'm a fan of where makeup is concerned, is that if you've got intense eyes, stay away from intense lips.  Go neutral on the lips when your eyes are the focus, and vice versa.  Bold eyes AND bold lips just remind me of Joan Collins circa Dynasty.  Of course I can't say all this without showing you a great deal on a smoky eye kit, now can I?  The one above (by Bare Escentuals) is on sale at Sephora for just $22 and it even comes with instructions!

No comments: