Friday, September 27, 2013

Sitcoms Worth Watching: 2013/2014 Season

Sometimes I feel like the only person who watches sitcoms anymore. Why am I the lone wolf who wants my evenings to be full of laughter? Apparently everyone else is content to sit for one-hour blocks of time and endure the following show format:

1. There is a dead body.
2. People in suits (and high heels that are totally inappropriate for the type of work they are doing on their feet all day) walk around in dark moody lighting and try to figure out who killed the dead body.
3. They figure it out.
4. The end.

These shows have names that include words like Law and/or Criminal, and abbreviations like NY or SVU and I just don't understand why - after a hard day at work or with the kids - you would choose to "relax" by visiting a make-believe world where people die horrible deaths every day.  

Do you really want to go to bed thinking about the worst things humanity does to one another? I mean, isn't that what the News is for?

Anyway, if you feel like finishing your day with laughter and happy thoughts, here are my top picks for the Best Sitcoms of the 2013-2014 tv season:

1. New Girl: A little bit of romance, a whole lot of friendship, and an overwhelming amount of shenanigans. You truly don't know what is going to happen next on this show, be it a badger crashing through the ceiling of a wedding that Taylor Swift is breaking up, or Zooey Deschanel singing an Elvis song at a funeral in a full-on Elvis costume. Completely unpredictable and always, always funny.

2. Cougar Town: As much as it still pains me to see Courteney Cox's beautiful face continue to morph into the unrecognizable thanks to the California culture of 'trying way too hard not to age', I can never deny how funny this show is. The friendships here are totally believable, and the affection they all feel for each other always seems completely real. I don't doubt they're all friends in real life. It helps that they have as much love for wine as they do for their friends because I feel the exact same way. If I could, I'd hang out in Jules' kitchen too.  And I'd play Penny Can anytime!

3. Modern Family: This exceptionally well-written show wins Emmys year after year for a reason. It's hilarious. It's heartwarming. It spans generations and is one of the most diverse shows on tv. Gay dads, adopted babies,  Stay-at-home Moms, Blended families, Braniacs and Bubbleheads, Divorces, Stepparents, it's all there and more. 

So if you're getting tired of all the dead bodies, and you never cared about all the drug-making cancer patients and terrorist-foiling duos on expensive cable channels, then take a minute to finish your day with a smile for a change. I bet your dreams will thank me for it.


No comments: