Wednesday, February 19, 2014

2014 Spring Shoe Trends Pt. 2: Oxfords

Last spring as I was walking down Queen West in Toronto with a bunch of gorgeous blondes I'm lucky to call friends, I had an inexplicable urge to buy a pair of Oxfords. It was partially because we were walking for so long and I really needed a comfy pair of flats (my boots were baking my feet on a sunny spring day), and partially because I have a serious obsession with the late '50's. I found a cute pair within minutes...because, well...Queen West.

If I could live anywhere, it would be Pleasantville (after everything turned into colour, of course). I'd walk around in a poodle skirt and fitted cardi and meet my gal pals at the soda shop for a malted and hope that a cute boy in a letterman sweater would walk in and ask me to wear his pin. I love When Peggy Sue Got Married. I love The Wonder Years. I love Back to the Future too. I love main streets and sock hops and movie theatres playing just one movie at a time.

So the oxford, the brogue, the saddle shoe...they all call to my feet as a way to transport myself to that magical time in the late 50's where life seemed less complicated, the workday ended at 5pm sharp, and high-technology was basically a rotary phone and a black & white tv. I think I'd really like it there.

Until I find a way to replicate the flux capacitor and harness 1.21 gigawatts of electricity, the shoes will just have to do.

Clockwise from top left: Cole Haan, Jimmy Choo, Bottega Veneta, Joe Fresh and Reed Krakoff 

No comments: